Keywords research is one of the important parts of any SEO strategy. Having long-tail keywords is the key factor to win over your SEO campaign.
Long-tail keywords generate less traffic but help your website to give a push, especially in a case where you have just started your website & want to generate organic traffic.
Every SEO marketing professional knows how they can smartly research for the keywords which are less competitive & can generate the traffic & then conversions for the website.
Finding the right keyword with less competition that can convert is hard to find & require a lot of time on research.
Before we move further, we need to understand about keywords & its types.
What is a keyword?
There are two versions of this question.
One is the user’s version & other is a marketer or SEO versions.
In the user’s version, when you are searching for any information on Google or on any search engine then you type some words which suit best for your query. The word(s) you type is called keyword which triggers your query & ends with the search results for users.
In SEO version, when you want to rank the certain page then you target some keywords for it which user search generally. These keywords describe the content on your website & help google to understand what is your page about & when to show/rank it in search results.
What are the types of keywords?
There are approximately 9 types of keywords are considered for SEO.
- Market Segment Keywords: The keywords or term which are directly related to your marketing. If you are running any business for which sells party dresses for women then the market segment keyword would be party dress.
- Customer-Defining Keywords: The keywords the search phrase which user use to land on their website is customer defining keyword. This keyword-based on customer mind. For example, party dresses for girls.
- Product Keywords: The keywords which are directly associated with the company’s products which your offer are product keywords. For example, GUCCI Double G belted mini dress.
- Branded keywords: Similar to the product keywords the search which includes the brand’s name. These keywords may include only the brand name with the broad product category. For example, GUCCI party dresses.
- Competitor Keywords: The keywords which have brand names of the competitors & included in the SEO campaign to win over them. For example: for Prada, competitor keyword is GUCCI party dresses.
- Geo-Targeted Keywords: The keywords which include the location are geo-targeted keywords. This is used in local SEO strategy. For example: party dresses in Tampa.
- Short-tail keywords: These keywords are also known as head-terms, broad keywords or generic keywords. These have a high search volume & has one or two words. For example: party dresses.
- Mid-Tail Keywords: The keywords which comes between short tail & long-term keywords and have moderate traffic volume along & are descriptive. For example: best party dresses.
- Long-Tail Keywords: These keywords have the longest words in it, probably more than 5-6 words These have low search volume & competition which make them easier to rank for. For example: best party dresses for the office event.
You must understand your SEO need & create a plan before you choose perfect keywords for your website.
Here is the list of tools which help you in keyword research:
- Google Keywords Planner: Google keywords planner (Previously known as Google keyword tool) is the leading keywords research tool which helps marketers to research keywords for their SEO & PPC campaigns. This shows monthly search volume, the average cost for keyword, competitions & related keywords which allow marketers to analyze which keyword is good to add to the campaign. This is a completely free tool which has integrated with Google Ads & tools section.
- Keywords Tool: Keywordtool.io was launched in 2014, is an online free keywords research tool which uses Google’s autocomplete feature to search hundreds of keywords. Its suggestions include both long-tail, mid-tail & short-tale keywords. Apart from the keywords, it helps marketers to search FAQs, Propositions which they can use in their SEO campaigns.
- Soovle: Soovle is a customizable keyword search engine that combines the keywords suggestions from most popular search engines such as Google, Bing, Amazon, Answers.com, Yahoo, Wikipedia, Youtube. You can simply drag & drop keywords & save your keywords suggestions.
- Google Search Console: Google Search Console is not a traditional keywords research tool but very useful in keywords research. It gathers keywords information whenever your website gets ranked on any keyword on any position for your website. It helps to figure out the keywords which keyword would be the best to target & where you need improvement to get positive ranking for those keywords.
- MOZ Keyword Explorer: MOZ keyword explorer is a paid keywords research tool which is very popular among marketers. It helps users to get accurate keywords data in searches & insights. It comes as a complimentary service when you opt for MOZPro subscription.
- Ahrefs Keywords Explorer: Starts with a 7-day trial for $7, Ahrefs Keywords Explorer is one of the most popular keywords tools that helps the marketer to get an in-depth look at the organic keywords of any website. You can see what keywords for you & your competitors are ranking for along with the pages which have the most organic traffic. Apart from the organic keywords, it allows marketers to see the insights for competitors PPC keywords.
- Keywords Everywhere: Keywords Everywhere is a keywords research tool/plugin that helps to get keywords to search volume & keywords ideas which include keywords data from Google Search Console, Answer The Public, Amazon, eBay, Keywords planner, Google trends, Majestics etc. The best part of this tool is that you don’t need to search each keyword for their monthly searches in Google keyword planner.You can simply install this in your Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browser as an extension. This was a completely free tool earlier but since October 2019 it has a paid subscription which starts from $1.
- SEMRush Keyword Magic Tool: SEMRush Keyword Magic Tool is a keywords search tool which helps marketers to get ideas for both SEO & PPC. The best feature is that you can create a group your selected keywords & create a list of them. It shows keywords search volume, keywords difficulty, CPC per keyword.
- KWFinder: KWFinder is one of the popular keywords research tools that allows keywords lookups for a maximum of 50 related keywords suggestions per search If you opt for a free plan. You just need to put the query to the search box & it will start giving you the keywords data. Apart from the free trial, Its basic plan starts from $29 per month.
- UberSuggest: UberSuggest is one of the fastest-growing & now popular keywords tool which is owned by Neil Patel. It helps to helps to generate keyword ideas for website’s content marketing strategy. You can find long-tail & short tail keywords along with each keyword’s SERP status, volume & competition. It is a completely free tool & trending now.
Finding the right keywords for any SEO campaign is an important task & this should be picked up very carefully. The tools which have mentioned above are very authoritative in terms of keywords research. These can help in extensive keywords research as well.
Free keywords tool is very helpful when you grow up your website. When your website starts grown-up, it’s better to but any paid keyword tool so that you can get many insights to optimize your website.
If you agree with the list which we have provided or have any other tool which should be added in this blog or think we missed any important keywords research tool, let us know in the comments.
Keyword Research Tool FAQs
For choosing the right keywords for your SEO campaign. You should select both mixes of short-tail, mid-tail & long-tail keywords. Use any keyword research tool & generate the ideas.
When you select the right keywords, those help in drive traffic for your website when they start getting rankings.
Choosing the right keyword for your website is tricky. You should choose those keywords which have high search volume & low competition.
To group your keywords follow the steps:
Prepare a list of website services
Do thorough keywords research
Categorise them according to their relevancy
There are several tools on the web to do intensive keywords research. But some most popular in 2023 are Google Keywords Planner, UberSuggest.
It is very important to keep an eye on the competitor’s strategy. To Find your competitor keywords some famous tools are UberSuggest, SEMRush.
Despite your targeting keywords, there are several other keywords may be getting your conversions. You can use SEMRush, UberSuggest, Ahrefs to check them.
How to Use Google My Business – A Start to Finish Guide
Local SEO Checklist for Small Business Websites
How To Write SEO Friendly Blog Posts – A Definitive Guide
Thank you, great article
Hi, I want to ask one question, How long tail keywords helps to rank high and what is the benefits of it.
Long-tail keywords are those which are actually searched by users. If you get ranking on them, your website can get the relevant traffic.
Very well written article. I want to thanks summit for sharing this. Very useful.
Like!! I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. The article has truly peaked my interest.
Thanks Mona for your kind words.
Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?
Use SSL in the website, review all the plugin & remove unwanted & unused ones.
I like the helpful info you provide on your articles.
I’ll bookmark your weblog and check once more here regularly. I am quite sure I’ll be told plenty of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!
Wow, this article is nice, my sister is analyzing these kinds of things, so I am going to convey her.
Hello to every single one, it’s really a nice for me to
visit this site, it consists of helpful Information.
Hello mates, its fantastic post on the topic of teaching and completely defined,
keep it up all the time.
Normally I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this
write-up very pressured me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me.
Thanks, quite nice article.
Thanks, Bart for your kind words ?
Hi there to everyone, it’s truly fastidious for me to pay a quick visit this website, it includes useful Information.
Thanks, Jeff for your kind words 🙂
It is in point of fact a great and useful piece of information. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this helpful information with us.
Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
Generally, I don’t read post on blogs, however, I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, quite a great article.
We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
Your web site provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.
Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically
tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping
maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your
blog and I look forward to your new updates.
There so many plugins like Zapier which can do exactly what you want.
You can try that.
I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
I’m quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
I simply want to mention I am newbie to blogs and honestly loved this blog. Almost certainly I’m likely to bookmark your site. You definitely come with excellent stories. Bless you, for sharing your website.
There is certainly a great deal to find out about this topic.
I really like all the points you have made.
Amazing! Its really remarkable article, I have got much clear idea on the topic of from this post.
Hello! I simply wish to give you a huge thumbs up for your excellent information you’ve got here on this post. I’ll be coming back to your site for more soon.
Thanks Mike for your kind words.
This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!!
Finally, I’ve found something which helped me. Appreciate it!
Thanks Carl, for your kind words.
As always great information.
I read this paragraph completely regarding the resemblance of latest and earlier technologies, it’s amazing article.
I know thiѕ wеb pagｅ offers quality based аrticles or reviews and other information, is tһere any other site which provides such datɑ in qualіty?
I found your blog website on google and also check a few of your early messages. Continue to maintain the great operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Viewers. Looking for ahead to reading more from you later!?
Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks|
Hello There. I found your blog using MSN. This is a really well-written article.
I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post.
I’ll definitely comeback.
Thiѕ post is invaluable. How can I find out more?
Thanks Grazed! You can simply subscribe to our newsletter to read more knowledgable posts.
You are so cool! I do not believe I’ve read through something like this before. So good to discover someone with some original thoughts on this subject.
Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site is something that is required on the web,
someone with some originality!
What’s up to all, the contents present at this website are in fact awesome for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.
Hi, it’s me, I am visiting this website regularly, this site is really fastidious and the viewers are really sharing fastidious thoughts.
I’m gone to tell my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this weblog on regular basis to obtain updated from newest gossip.