Keywords research is one of the important parts of any SEO strategy. Having long-tail keywords is the key factor to win over your SEO campaign.
Long-tail keywords generate less traffic but help your website to give a push, especially in a case where you have just started your website & want to generate organic traffic.
Every SEO marketing professional knows how they can smartly research for the keywords which are less competitive & can generate the traffic & then conversions for the website.
Finding the right keyword with less competition that can convert is hard to find & require a lot of time on research.
Before we move further, we need to understand about keywords & its types.
What is a keyword?
There are two versions of this question.
One is the user’s version & other is a marketer or SEO versions.
In the user’s version, when you are searching for any information on Google or on any search engine then you type some words which suit best for your query. The word(s) you type is called keyword which triggers your query & ends with the search results for users.
In SEO version, when you want to rank the certain page then you target some keywords for it which user search generally. These keywords describe the content on your website & help google to understand what is your page about & when to show/rank it in search results.
What are the types of keywords?
There are approximately 9 types of keywords are considered for SEO.
- Market Segment Keywords: The keywords or term which are directly related to your marketing. If you are running any business for which sells party dresses for women then the market segment keyword would be party dress.
- Customer-Defining Keywords: The keywords the search phrase which user use to land on their website is customer defining keyword. This keyword-based on customer mind. For example, party dresses for girls.
- Product Keywords: The keywords which are directly associated with the company’s products which your offer are product keywords. For example, GUCCI Double G belted mini dress.
- Branded keywords: Similar to the product keywords the search which includes the brand’s name. These keywords may include only the brand name with the broad product category. For example, GUCCI party dresses.
- Competitor Keywords: The keywords which have brand names of the competitors & included in the SEO campaign to win over them. For example: for Prada, competitor keyword is GUCCI party dresses.
- Geo-Targeted Keywords: The keywords which include the location are geo-targeted keywords. This is used in local SEO strategy. For example: party dresses in Tampa.
- Short-tail keywords: These keywords are also known as head-terms, broad keywords or generic keywords. These have a high search volume & has one or two words. For example: party dresses.
- Mid-Tail Keywords: The keywords which comes between short tail & long-term keywords and have moderate traffic volume along & are descriptive. For example: best party dresses.
- Long-Tail Keywords: These keywords have the longest words in it, probably more than 5-6 words These have low search volume & competition which make them easier to rank for. For example: best party dresses for the office event.
You must understand your SEO need & create a plan before you choose perfect keywords for your website.
Here is the list of tools which help you in keyword research:
- Google Keywords Planner: Google keywords planner (Previously known as Google keyword tool) is the leading keywords research tool which helps marketers to research keywords for their SEO & PPC campaigns. This shows monthly search volume, the average cost for keyword, competitions & related keywords which allow marketers to analyze which keyword is good to add to the campaign. This is a completely free tool which has integrated with Google Ads & tools section.
- Keywords Tool: Keywordtool.io was launched in 2014, is an online free keywords research tool which uses Google’s autocomplete feature to search hundreds of keywords. Its suggestions include both long-tail, mid-tail & short-tale keywords. Apart from the keywords, it helps marketers to search FAQs, Propositions which they can use in their SEO campaigns.
- Soovle: Soovle is a customizable keyword search engine that combines the keywords suggestions from most popular search engines such as Google, Bing, Amazon, Answers.com, Yahoo, Wikipedia, Youtube. You can simply drag & drop keywords & save your keywords suggestions.
- Google Search Console: Google Search Console is not a traditional keywords research tool but very useful in keywords research. It gathers keywords information whenever your website gets ranked on any keyword on any position for your website. It helps to figure out the keywords which keyword would be the best to target & where you need improvement to get positive ranking for those keywords.
- MOZ Keyword Explorer: MOZ keyword explorer is a paid keywords research tool which is very popular among marketers. It helps users to get accurate keywords data in searches & insights. It comes as a complimentary service when you opt for MOZPro subscription.
- Ahrefs Keywords Explorer: Starts with a 7-day trial for $7, Ahrefs Keywords Explorer is one of the most popular keywords tools that helps the marketer to get an in-depth look at the organic keywords of any website. You can see what keywords for you & your competitors are ranking for along with the pages which have the most organic traffic. Apart from the organic keywords, it allows marketers to see the insights for competitors PPC keywords.
- Keywords Everywhere: Keywords Everywhere is a keywords research tool/plugin that helps to get keywords to search volume & keywords ideas which include keywords data from Google Search Console, Answer The Public, Amazon, eBay, Keywords planner, Google trends, Majestics etc. The best part of this tool is that you don’t need to search each keyword for their monthly searches in Google keyword planner.You can simply install this in your Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browser as an extension. This was a completely free tool earlier but since October 2019 it has a paid subscription which starts from $1.
- SEMRush Keyword Magic Tool: SEMRush Keyword Magic Tool is a keywords search tool which helps marketers to get ideas for both SEO & PPC. The best feature is that you can create a group your selected keywords & create a list of them. It shows keywords search volume, keywords difficulty, CPC per keyword.
- KWFinder: KWFinder is one of the popular keywords research tools that allows keywords lookups for a maximum of 50 related keywords suggestions per search If you opt for a free plan. You just need to put the query to the search box & it will start giving you the keywords data. Apart from the free trial, Its basic plan starts from $29 per month.
- UberSuggest: UberSuggest is one of the fastest-growing & now popular keywords tool which is owned by Neil Patel. It helps to helps to generate keyword ideas for website’s content marketing strategy. You can find long-tail & short tail keywords along with each keyword’s SERP status, volume & competition. It is a completely free tool & trending now.
Finding the right keywords for any SEO campaign is an important task & this should be picked up very carefully. The tools which have mentioned above are very authoritative in terms of keywords research. These can help in extensive keywords research as well.
Free keywords tool is very helpful when you grow up your website. When your website starts grown-up, it’s better to but any paid keyword tool so that you can get many insights to optimize your website.
If you agree with the list which we have provided or have any other tool which should be added in this blog or think we missed any important keywords research tool, let us know in the comments.
Keyword Research Tool FAQs
For choosing the right keywords for your SEO campaign. You should select both mixes of short-tail, mid-tail & long-tail keywords. Use any keyword research tool & generate the ideas.
When you select the right keywords, those help in drive traffic for your website when they start getting rankings.
Choosing the right keyword for your website is tricky. You should choose those keywords which have high search volume & low competition.
To group your keywords follow the steps:
Prepare a list of website services
Do thorough keywords research
Categorise them according to their relevancy
There are several tools on the web to do intensive keywords research. But some most popular in 2023 are Google Keywords Planner, UberSuggest.
It is very important to keep an eye on the competitor’s strategy. To Find your competitor keywords some famous tools are UberSuggest, SEMRush.
Despite your targeting keywords, there are several other keywords may be getting your conversions. You can use SEMRush, UberSuggest, Ahrefs to check them.